K-Kwon-Do is not a competitive or strenuous Martial Art.
Our students are not trained to enter tournaments, break bricks or lock out on their joints (all of which are causes of injuries). Rather our students are taught practical, real-life self-defense skills and non-violent methods of resolving conflict as well controlling aggression.
K-KWON-DO STUDENT AFFIRMATION The development of optimum health and fitness is a key objective in K-Kwon-Do. Strength of mind, correct attitude and character is also paramount.
The student Affirmation which is recited by all students in unison at the start of every class is a reminder of the principles that we as martial artists, students, instructors and individuals should uphold inside class and in our daily lives.
KINDNESS in our speech INTEGRITY in our actions BALANCE in our thoughts UNDERSTANDING in our approach NOBLENESS in our conduct
THE MEANING OF ‘KIBUN’
KIBUN is a Korean word that means humility in ones manners and dealings. The ‘K’ in K-Kwon-Do stands for Kibun and thus our martial art is ‘The Way of Humility’. The concept of Kibun is fundamental in our teaching and approach. This is emphasised in the student affirmation at the start of each class and is continuously used as a greeting and a method of praise.
ENERGY . CONFIDENCE . SPIRIT The development of energy, fitness, self-defense, confidence and proper student attitude as well as the Martial Art spirit are considered the most important goal in K-Kwon-Do training. Along with the attainment of proper techniques, students are encouraged to approach every class with enthusiasm and a positive attitude. This is measured by the energy, determination and spirit they demonstrate, not on how high a student kicks or how hard they punch!
The Colour Belt System
The purpose of the colour belt system is to demonstrate progression in levels skills and techniques. This provides positive incentives as well as establishing a hierarchy of command from Senior to junior students. This hierarchy instills a feeling of pride and achievement in each belt attained and also develops the student’s social skills. By learning to give and take orders, students at any level or age group learn cooperation as well as leadership qualities and skills. Furthermore, students learn that in order to be respected, one must respect others.
The colour belt system from white to brown belt senior which takes approximately three years.
Progress in K-Kwon-Do
The purpose of testing is to evaluate the student in order to provide for their progress. In keeping with our basic philosophy of human development, we want to emphasize that the promotional test is not a high pressure, win or lose competitive event. Rather, it is intended to be a positive learning experience for the child. We ask that parents try to relay this as much as possible to the child giving your support and encouragement in order to ease some of the fear and nervousness regarding the test.
Parents play a very special role in our school. It is important that we work closely together to help a child develop to his or her fullest potential.
Children are our future. Our goal as a martial arts institute is to train children to defend themselves against actual physical attack and to better prepare them to cope with the pressures and problems of growing up. As a result of this training, the martial arts student develops confidence. This means confidence in their ability to defend themselves, confidence in setting realistic goals, and confidence in the decisions they make in order to achieve the goals they have set. Confidence is fundamental in the development of leadership.
Leadership training is important in teaching the student to realize his or her own self-worth and unique role within a group. The student learns that leadership must go hand in hand with respect and the ability to cooperate with others. This means respect not only for their senior and fellow students in the class, but also respect for their parents, their teachers and themselves. The traits of confidence, respect, cooperation, and leadership are developed and reinforced through constant discipline and encouragement from both parents and Instructors.
Students that show extra dedication and excellent character are promoted to Team Leaders and are given special trousers and a Team Leader Patch to wear as part of their uniform. They are chosen as role models to the rest of the class and as a helper to the Instructor. As students become older, they also have the opportunity of training to be qualified Assistant Instructors and Chief Instructors themselves.
- K KWON DO HAS TAUGHT ME SELF DEFENSE TECHNIQUES AND HOW TO BE STREET WISE – FROM SHAREEN CHAND (STUDENT)
- RELEASES (IN A GOOD WAY) MY SONS ENERGY LEVELS AS WELL AS TEACHES HIM SELF DEFENSE AGAINST HIS THREE YEAR OLD BROTHER – FROM MRS RAUF (PARENT)
- SINCE STARTING K KWON DO MY PERFORMANCE IN TERMS OF STAMINA, STRENGHT, INDURANCE AND FLEXABILITY HAS IMPROVED MASSIVELY – FROM RISHI CHAND (STUDENT)
- A FUN WAY TO TEACH CHILDREN RESPECTFUL MARTIAL ARTS – FROM SASHA FIELD (PARENT)
- K KWON DO IS A FUN AND EXCITING MARTIAL ART, YOU CAN GAIN A LOT FROM EXCERCISING, SOCIALISING AND A FUN SPORT TO DO AFTER A LONG DAY – FROM DRE LEWARS SEWELL (INSTRUCTOR)
- K KWON DO IS A GREAT MARTIAL ART AND MY KIDS LOVE IT! – FROM MAY KIDNER (PARENT)
- MY TWO BOYS AND GIRL ENJOY THE FUN WHILE ALONG LEARNING TO BE MORE CONFIDENT AND THE FEEL OF SAFETY KNOWING THEY CAN DEFEND THEMSELVES – FROM DALAL ENDER (PARENT )
- GREAT TRAINING, GOOD FOR CONFIDENCE! WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND – FROM MRS BOON (PARENT)
- K KWON DO IS A BRILLIANT MARTIAL ART WHICH TEACHES YOU MANY USEFUL TECHNIQUES THAT WILL HELP YOU IN REAL LIFE SITUATIONS. IT BUILDS YOUR CONFIDENCE AND ABILITY IN MANY ASPECTS – FROM NAVEENA SEHRA (INSTRUCTOR)
- THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR INTRODUCING K KWON DO TO MY SON HAIDER, HE LOVES IT! – FROM MRS MOOSA (PARENT)
- ITS THE BEST MARTIAL ART AND WELL DONE TO MRS BUSHRA KHOSLA WHO DOES AN AMAZING JOB AND IS A GREAT INSTRUCTOR AND IM VERY PROUD OF HER! FROM MR SUNIL KHOSLA (PARENT)
- I THINK K KWON DO IS A GOOD WAY TO LEARN SELF DEFENSE – FROM LUANNA BARNWELL (STUDENT)
- I THINK ITS WICKED FUN AND WE HAVE GREAT LAUGHS – FROM PRITESH PARMAR (STUDENT)
- K KWON DO IS AN ACTIVITY THATS GIVES THE CHILDREN AND ADULTS THE CHANCE TO DEVELOP THEIR PHYSICAL STRENGHT AND FITNESS AS WELL AS GIVING THEM REAL SELF ESTEEM – FROM CHRISTINE ALLEN (PARENT)
- GIVES YOU CONFIDENCE, ITS SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES INCLUDING OLDER PEOPLE, ITS GOOD FOR HEALTH AND DISCIPLINE – FROM DEE HUTCHINSON (STUDENT AND PARENT)
- I FEEL PROUD TO LEARN K KWON DO BECAUSE I HAVE LEARNT SKILLS THAT I CAN USE IF NEED TO, I AM DEAF AND THE INSTRUCTORS ALWAYS MAKE SURE I UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY SAY, I REALLY LIKE MY K KWON DO – FROM MARYAM EBRAHIM AGED 10 (STUDENT)
- K KWON DO IS AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE – FROM NIKITA KHATRI (STUDENT)